Friday, May 29, 2009

Ionesco

Platitudes

"Didacticism is above all an attitude of mind and an expression of the will to dominate.
A work of art really is above all an adventure of the mind.
Some have said that Boris Vian's The Empire Builders was inspired by my own Amedee. Actually, no one is inspired by anyone except by his own self and his own anguish.
I detect a crisis of thought, which is manifested by a crisis of language; words no longer meaning anything.
No society has even been able to abolish human sadness; no political system can deliver us from the pain of living, from our fear of death, our thirst for the absolute.

I can affirm that neither the public nor the critics have influenced me.
Perhaps I am socially minded in spite of myself.
With me every play springs from a kind of self-analysis.
I am not an ideologue, for I am straightforward and objective.
The world ought not to interest me so much. In reality, I am obsessed with it."

quoted from Sontag's Against Interpretation

No comments: