Wednesday, May 27, 2009

From The Street to the Gallery


Lee Godie’s "My Fair Lady." (aka SA Women (A Woman with Orange Leaves)
Paint and pen on canvas
18 x 18 ¼ inches



"Godie was a well-known Chicago homeless woman who, from the late 1960s into the ’90s, sold her vigorous childlike paintings and drawings of elegant women and other subjects on the street. She was delusional but so aggressively shrewd as a saleswoman that she became known as Chicago’s most collected artist and was the subject of articles in Art in America, The Wall Street Journal and People magazine. (Examples of her works are at Carl Hammer.)"

from a 2008 NYTimes article on Outsider Art


I've been going through my Outsider Art book recently and came across Lee's work. I like this second one too but wish the image quality was better. The repetition is what gets me here.


No comments: