Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Wayne Thiebaud - Retrospective






The NY Times has a great online article about the Wayne Thiebaud retrospective that will be held at the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento beginning October 10th. I'm a late appreciator of Thiebaud's work. A year ago, a collector friend showed me his private collection, letting me hold a painting in my own hands. It was incredible, like touching a piece of history, but not just any history, a significant one for the place and people among whom I now live. Thiebaud's impact on San Francisco's art history is subtle in content yet holds a great cultural significance for our present day. Before my very personal encounter with his work, I would see paintings hanging in banks, along with prints and posters in local businesses. At that time, I interpreted it as typical and predictable. Now looking back, I find myself making up for lost time.







Read the full NY Times article.

Check out the slide show.

No comments: